[extropy-chat] The Hidden Luddite was Re: peak oil debate

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 9 11:11:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:16:03PM -0700, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> No, we're talking about force.  Assuming people don't do things if
> they're legal requires 100% effective enforcement - which not even the
> strictest, most draconian law enforcement agency in the world has
> achieved over any large group of people.

Fortunately. However, the situation has been changing quite noticeably.
For one, we have potentially realtime automatic surveillance of
subjects and communication channels, as well as data mining to identify
potential trouble-makers (remote bugging of mobile phones is
e.g. possible, and location services are subpoenable in realtime).

Human forces will rebel if deployed against their own citizens, but
automation (e.g. UAVs, military robotics) do not have compassion, or
conscience.

The Emergents could very well be our future. Let's try not going there.