[extropy-chat] Re: The Hidden Luddite was Re: peak oil debate

mail at harveynewstrom.com mail at harveynewstrom.com
Fri Sep 9 18:45:22 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes writes:
> They do, however, have controllers and programmers.  The military is
> being *extremely* careful to make sure that a human commander can
> always stop a robot soldier from doing harm - and even with the video
> screen distancing effect, those commanders will still know who they're
> going against.

I doubt this.  We saw examples in the Iraq war where we would bomb far-away
targets based on an anonymous tip only to find out that the tip was false
and that we just bombed friendlies.  I also doubt that any smarts will be
given to a robot to keep it from disobeying a direct order to attack just
because it thinks the targets are not the enemy.  The military mindset is
more on enforcing the chain of command than allowing every soldier to think
for themselves.  This will even be more so when humans are commanding
machines.

 --
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP