[extropy-chat] Richer more human communications - who uses what tech?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 12 22:53:58 UTC 2005

I've often thought that it would be good to be able to easily
communicate with folks on this list in a way that is more
natural, more like face to face communication.  I'd like to
be able to talk to some of the folk that post to this list in
such a way without having to actually leave home to do it.

I don't use any sort of video conferencing, or voice over IP,
or similar technologies yet myself simply because, I suspect
the effort involved in my setting them up for myself to use
hasn't been obviously worthwhile yet. Part of that assessment
has been based on a sense that there isn't much use having
even a telephone before it achieves some degree of standardisation
in technology or unless you know that there is at least someone
or someones that you'd *really* like to talk to enough to bother
with the tech setup.

Anyway to the point, how useable, affordable, standard are
the options for face to face communication between people
from their homes with each other internationally at present?

Does anyone here make use of these technologies already?

I'd obviously like to communicate cheaply and efficiently with
friends in Australia, the US, Europe, Canada, not to give an
exhaustive list of countries but just because I suspect that
there are people in those countries that I'd already "chat" too
if the tech was easy, and cheap enough.

Brett Paatsch