[extropy-chat] Sheiks and sex (was OIL: Albertan tar sands)

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Sun Sep 18 11:18:54 UTC 2005

On 17 Sep 2005, at 03:15, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> You also can't complain about taxes taken from those who believe in
> taxes. Statists do not enjoy the protection of the non-initiation
> principle.

Y'know something, I was going to let this slide -- but you had to
stick it right up my nose.

"X does not enjoy the protection of law Y because they do not believe
in law Y" (let's strip it right out of the context of libertarian
ideology and generalize it) is a really dangerous principle. Either
you're talking about a general law, in which case it applies to
everyone, or it's not a law; it's a group agreement among a bunch of
insiders, and -- hey! -- you've invented another group who are
explicitly outside your law because you pinned a label on them.

(Plus, my take on the non-initiation principle is that it's far too
easy to turn inside out.  There are forms of coercive behavior that
don't require guns, knives, or fists, after all, some of them are so
insidious that you don't realize you're being coerced at first: that
nice cheap inkjet printer, for example -- how were you to know that
it costs an arm and a leg to replace the print cartridges and by
opening the box you agreed that you wouldn't try to refill the one
that came with it? Or: that nice peaceful gated community, how were
you to know that the clause about "accepted community standards"
would be used to threaten you with eviction if you dyed your hair blue?)

Personally, I believe in taxes. They beat the alternative hollow ...

-- Charlie