[extropy-chat] rebuilding New Orleans

Dennis live2scan at charter.net
Tue Sep 20 00:19:29 UTC 2005

  A city is sinking. The city fathers want to find a way to prevent this old and beloved city from being inundated. A place that is a fountain of culture with a diverse and energetic populace. A city of artists and restaurateurs and festivals. A seaport bustling with the commerce of nations. What can be done to save it?
    " We know", they exclaimed! We will build our city as a series of islands crisscrossed by canals!  If the water rises there will be quite sufficient canal volume to contain the flood. We can use the existing earth as fill to raise the land upon which we can build a city to be marveled at for centuries. Where we removed the earth there will be broad and deep channels for drainage, commerce and of course a place for lovers. For what more romantic place is there for lovers than to walk beside a slow moving river, unless it is to ride upon it in a quaint old boat.
  To this day we revere that city, Venice.
  Maybe there is nothing new under the sun. The idea worked in Italy many years ago why not now. Don't rebuild that city the same way. Don't try to fight the river, flow with it. If you like this idea pass it along. I've heard no one talking about how to rebuild in any way that makes sense. This does to me. Its our tax money being spent, let's not have it thrown away. If the city is to be rebuilt, can we not do as good a job as the Venetians?
    If you like this idea, forward it to as many people as you can. You can make a difference. Don't let this opportunity to do the right thing pass.
                                       Dennis Roberts
                                       live2scan at charter.net