[extropy-chat] cheap alcohol

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 16:52:00 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Our innovative neighbors in Brazil are using NAFTA to avoid tariffs
> and ship cheap cane-based ethanol to the US, upsetting the corn
> growers of America.
>
> http://www.crystalsugar.com/media/news.archives/cargill.asp
>
> US lawmakers made our sugar prices 3 times the global price, just as
> the EU made their motor fuel 3 times the global price. I'd like to
> see both tariffs phased out!

So long as Brazilian sugar production isn't subsidized, I have no
problem with it. Too bad if the American farmer can't compete. Of
course, as demand for Brazilian ethanol goes up in the US, prices for
the same will also go up, to meet the US prices... particularly if the
price for ethanol made in the US is now, for once, cheaper than
gasoline.

Oh, and BTW: Its CAFTA, not NAFTA. It also appears that Cargill is
merely relabelling and reshipping auto-quality Brazilian ethanol, which
would be a no-no, since Brazil isn't part of either CAFTA or the CBI.

Lets let the competition reign. Of course, once US sugar beet growers
are thrown out of work, they will be free to lobby more for
legalization of hemp growing... ;)

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com