[extropy-chat] Re: Profile the Great Satan? (Peter Fedak)

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Wed Sep 21 19:44:01 UTC 2005

I see Mike's point and it isn;t about race. It is about using our evolved gut instinct and profiling people through several layers - race just being one of those. Right now, the people conducting the searches have to be "equal and fair" with their searches. They can't single anyone out for any reason that might lead anyone to believe that the possibility exists that that person may have possibly been chosen for a search because they might fit into somone's idea of a racial profile. This is crap.
When underwriting mortgage loans, underwriters have a little thing they deal with called "layered risk". Supposing a person had a 580 credit score,  no money in the bank, self-employed for 6 months, and was buying a house from a friend, and no money down. None of these things in themselves would stop a person from buying a home. But taken together, they add up to a high risk of foreclosure. Often, an underwriter will turn down such loans.

In a similar way, a white supremist, veteran, white male christian is  a high risk. A black veteran christian on the other hand is a much lower risk.
Creditors and insurers play the risk game every day. And our brains are already wired for it with "gut" instinct and stereotyping. If taken control of properly, these tools could be fine tuned to greatly reduce the risk.