[extropy-chat] cheap alcohol

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 07:20:45 UTC 2005

On 22/09/05, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
> >
> > We're at almost 7$/gallon, and not suffering (much). The mischief
> > and shenanigans can only happen when you don't control your own
> > supply. With renewables, that's not an issue.
> >
> > --
> > Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>
>
> Whaaaaat?  Seven bucks?  Can't Germany make ethanol
> cheaper than that?  Closed loop ethanol couldn't be
> that high could it?  Someone is robbing you Gene.  Didn't
> you guys make synthetic motor fuel during WW2?  Is
> anyone doing that?  Owww, seven bucks, that makes
> my butt hurt.
>
> spike

Are you in Germany at the moment Eugen?

>From the Sydney Morning Herald, 4 September 2005:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/german-greens-leader-calls-for-petrol-price-cut-as-election-hots-up/2005/09/03/1125302779935.html?from=moreStories

"I believe the oil companies should reduce their prices," said Mr
Fischer, whose party once called for petrol prices to be raised
gradually to almost twice the current level of about €1.40 (A$2.30) a
litre to discourage Germans from driving cars.

I've also just heard on the radio that petrol in the UK is about 1
pound/litre, which is about the same price I think.

Still, that's high. In Australia, it's just below A$1.40/litre, and
people are screaming.

And in the US (from The Age, September 3):
http://www.theage.com.au/news/editorial/high-petrol-prices-point-to-bigger-picture-of-change/2005/09/02/1125302746561.html

"Of course, some nations and their citizens have been relaxed about
the risks of climate change and have greatly increased their use of
polluting fossil fuels. They are likely to be more sensitive to the
price consequences of soaring global demand. World oil prices had
risen steadily from $18 a barrel in November 2001, but this week's
market volatility was telling. Just a small part of global production
was shut down — the affected region accounts for 7 per cent of US
demand. The oil price still shot up to $US70 a barrel. With US
motorists paying $US3 a gallon ($A1.05 a litre), a record even when
adjusted for inflation, US President George Bush announced supply
would be made up from the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve."

So US motorists have just topped A$1.05/litre,  Aussies are paying
A$1.40/litre, and europeans are paying A$2.30/litre. And I notice that
everywhere that politicians accuse the industry of price gouging, and
industry accuses the government of overtaxing. What really accounts
for the difference in prices?

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *