[extropy-chat] Re: Nuke the Great Satan

mail at harveynewstrom.com mail at harveynewstrom.com
Thu Sep 22 13:01:26 UTC 2005

Henrik Öhrström writes:

> Ethnic profiling have its own limitations, El Als security was very neatly
> bypassed when someone (Sorry can't find the reference, I read about it in a
> swedish newspaper) used persons who did not look like palestinians or arabic
> but looked like "native" judes. They could waltz right through with
> suitcases filled with plastelina, because nobody looked twice at them.

This is exactly why ethnic profiling does not work against terrorists.  No
real security expert would support ethnic profiling against terrorists,
because it simply fails to block terrorists.  The same is true for torture.
No real security expert would support torture for information gathering.  It
simply does not produce reliable information.  These theories sound fine to
some people, but they simply fail critical analysis, and they fail to
perform in the real world.  Ignoring the ethical questions, such methods
simply don't help.

 --
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP