[extropy-chat] another letter

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 23:57:10 UTC 2005

[two letters in the can so you can choose if you want]

Patrick Reilly's polite letter of  9-25 was right, Dave Anderson is not asking for maximum state funding for CU. And Mike Arvey was right, I'm a poseur, a fake. However such is none too terribly uncommon among intellectuals; you might say intellectuals are many things including tricksters. Being an intellectual, even a half-assed one, is more attractive than getting chapped hands studying dish engineering at the University of Pancake House. Most of all I want to blend in with the more or less negative attitude here, for example last time I can remember reading really positive articles in Boulder was over a decade ago, there was a truly happy guy going on about spirituality, women, and possibly camping and hiking. I also want to fit in with Boulder's arrogant attitude-- yes, a generality-- of 'your business is my business', by being arrogant as well. If someone doesn't like it, too bad.
Speaking of bad, I just read Ward Churchill's book about Roosting Chickens, and it is ironically a good book, good in the sense you learn alot, but what you learn is not what the author intended. You learn the hate of brilliant men such as Chomsky & Churchill (the book reveals Churchill has got a first rate mind) is a cancer no scalpel can remove. I now feel sorry for Churchill because to produce such a cancer in a first class mind Churchill must have been treated bad and a good guess is being drafted to Vietnam didn't help.
The book is too rich and detailed to describe, suffice it to say Churchill leaves out what doesn't back up his trajectory, as a good intellectual might do. The book flows well in a calendar form. One detail to mention is how when the Paris Peace Accords were signed in 1973 a rider was included directing America to pay a few billion. Churchill calls the billions "reparations", but the funds were a grant. If you settle a lawsuit the money isn't reparations, it isn't a gift, it is forking over.
951 Arapahoe; Boulder; 303-605-8743

http://mail.yahoo.com