[extropy-chat] Bloke No; Baby Yes

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Sep 26 14:26:15 UTC 2005

From: "Emlyn" <emlynoregan at gmail.com>
> http://alphamom.com/

> Oops, I had a bit of a look at the site, and it seems innocuous
enough. I read an article about the founder (in an Oz magazine on dead trees
only I'm afraid) which was incredibly scathing about her and the alphamoms
in general. Her philosophy (and the philosophy of Alphamom, at least to
begin with) seemed to be that parenting is essentially a management
discipline. She has a son, but luckily she can afford a nanny, a night
nurse, and somebody else (I forget... housekeeper I think) all working long
hours. Apparently she works one hundred hours per week on Alphamom. Her
hubby, her son's Dad, works similar hours doing whatever he does.

> I just can't figure out where the parenting is in all of that.

I think making a living for someone else's benefit - sustaining a
household - qualifies as parenting to some large degree.  Who knows whether
certain people who work long hours don't have the best weekends (relaxed,
nurturing, educational, fun, being filled with good memories?) with their
children?

Also, IMO it is good for children to observe a more egalitarian society -
both parents working, and perhaps even providing a living for other people.

Olga

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *