[extropy-chat] codes in scam letters

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Sep 27 01:16:11 UTC 2005

Kevin Freels wrote:

>A huge amount of spam is trapped at the ISP level before getting to the
>consumer, so I doubt this would be an effective way to send code to
>terrorists. They would be better served sending genuine personal messages
>that are coded with one-time cyphers.

Any traffic that appears to be encrypted will be scrutinized by their
opponents, as will any traffic from or to a suspect. The best ways to
communicate will not draw attention. In the WW II model, signalling
by the radio broadcast of a particular popular song is preferable to
"the crows fly at dawn."

Because encrypted traffic is relatively rare, it draws attention.
Those who want strong crypto should also want it to be an automatic,
default feature in all popular software for communicating through
Internet protocols (email, chat, HTTP, SMS, VOIP, etc.).

-- David Lubkin.