[extropy-chat] Blog spam

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Sep 28 08:55:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 05:11:24PM +1000, Alejandro Dubrovsky wrote:

> That should read "have fallen over time and will continue to do so".
> See http://www.captcha.net.   They don't seem to be the ones usually
> used around, but their reported accuracy rate is higher than my human
> accuracy rate for the ones I do see.  If they make these tests much
> harder, I'll have to write a program to start signing up to groups and
> posting comments on blogs, or hire a captcha reader consultant.
> alejandro

A captcha is a specific, narrow type of Turing test. If the
results are not cached to authenticated by a trusted party
it has to be sufficiently easy on humans, and hard on computers.

Current computers are sufficiently dumb so that people can be turinged
out quite reliably -- but probably not just with noisy distorted static
images.

One can always write a Turing test with Java or http://processing.org/

(It is worth noting that human primates can be socially engineered
to do the dirty work for you).