[extropy-chat] Citizen Cyborg on If Uploads Come First

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Sat Apr 1 00:29:43 UTC 2006

At 02:15 PM 3/31/2006, James Hughes wrote:
> >> I just think you ... do not see redistribution and regulation as
> >> desirable or inevitable
> > You keep making these false statements about me, which I deny.
>
>I'm sorry you think I'm misrepresenting you....
>You are associated, for instance, with "ideas markets" and market-based
>approaches to aggregating social preferences as a way to replace
>democratic mechanisms.... But they do indicate a ... shift from reliance on
>democratic deliberation to market mechanisms.   Isn't that the case?
>Isn't it fair to characterize you as a libertarian economist?

No, it is not fair to characterize me as a libertarian
economist.  Some of my colleagues perhaps, but not me.   You have
been so far complaining that since I did not talk much about
regulation in my uploads paper, that I must be hostile to the idea
and unaware of the regulatory issues you hold dear.   I have been
trying to explain that I am aware of such issues and remain open to
regulation, but that a low regulation analysis is usually the best
first analysis step in economic analysis.   I had thought a bit about
upload regulation, but it is a messy situation and I felt uncertain,
and so I choose not to say anything in that twelve year old paper.

The subject of "idea futures" as applied to government policy is
about *how* we should chose regulation.   It is not itself pro or
anti regulation.  Yes, I've advocated trying out markets to choose
regulation, but that doesn't make me agaisnt democratic
deliberation.   For example, I am a fan of James Fishkin's
experiments in deliberative democracy mechanisms.

>>I gave a long analysis showing how there were at least five
>>different ways to conceive of who are the "poor" in such a
>>scenario, and I have twice now asked you to clarify which of these
>>groups you want to favor with redistribution.   You complain that I
>>have not supported  "redistribution" but without clarification this
>>can only be a generic slogan.
>
>Your examples are interesting, and worthy of additional discussion,
>but I really don't have to parse them before I can advocate a
>general principle that I want to live in a roughly equal society.

Well that is a key difference in our styles.  "Equal society" is too
vague a slogan for me to endorse.  ("Equal in what?" my internal
critic screams.)   I would rather not take a public position if I
cannot find something clearer to endorse.   But please do not mistake
my lack of many positions on upload regulation in my first uploads
paper for not my caring about or being aware of regulatory issues.

FYI, regarding the questions I posed, my current leanings are that
creatures who might exist should count in our moral calculus, that
upload copies will diverge quickly enough that they should mostly be
treated separately, instead of as clans, that the ability of humans
to earn substantial wages should not matter much beyond its
contribution to their income, and that while the fact that the human
subsistence levels are higher should be a consideration, that
consideration is greatly weakened when humans reject the option to
convert into cheaper-to-assist uploads.   Your intuitions may differ,
but I don't think anyone should feel very confident about such opinions.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323