[extropy-chat] NEWS: Organs Grown from Patients' own cells

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 3 23:04:19 UTC 2006

Doctors grow organs from patients' own cells
-- Seven living with bladders from new process

Monday, April 3, 2006; Posted: 6:32 p.m. EDT (22:32 GMT)

"The 16-year-old was born with spina bifida, a congenital birth defect that
stunts brain and spinal cord development. The disease left her with a
crippling jumble of nerves jutting out from the base of her spine....

'We're not using any type of stem cell population or cloning techniques,
but mainly the patient's own cells that we're using to create these organs
and put them back into the patient ...'"

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/04/03/engineered.organs/index.html

http://mail2web.com/ .