[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 04:58:57 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Whoa.  We have people running large segments of the world who are older
> than 70!  These assumptions about what 70 is like come pretty close to
> ageism.   Many people are quite competent and active beyond 70.

Fair point, and I corrected myself in a later message: I wouldn't say I
don't (or anyone shouldn't) want to live past X years, for any value of X;
only that if I get to the point where I'm drooling on my chin in a
wheelchair or a nursing home, I will place negative utility on subsequent
existence, however soon or late that may be. As long as I'm capable of
making a positive difference, I'm in favor of sticking around.