[extropy-chat] Meeting Doctor Doom

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Wed Apr 5 03:14:57 UTC 2006

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

>Joseph Bloch wrote:
>

>>It certainly appears as if *something* about the story isn't true.
>>
>>However, it appears as if both Mims and Pianka are kooks in their own
>>way. Are we to believe the possible exaggerations and distortions of
>>Mims? Or the possible frantic backpedaling of Pianka?
>>
>>Sadly, without some sort of recording or transcript of the event, we
>>might never know for sure. Although I'm pretty sure I read in one of the
>>gazillion accounts of the speech that the story was corroborated by one
>>of Pianka's students or colleagues or something. I'll check around.
>>

>Joseph, under the circumstances, I would regard the charges against
>Pianka as refuted unless someone brings forth a recording or transcript.
>  As someone misrepresented in the media, I know how much it stings to
>be the target, and how often and routinely the media does this.  Pianka
>must be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I find that someone saying "I didn't say that" doesn't quite rise to my
own personal level of proof. One could just as easily say that Mims is
"innocent" of lying until proven guilty.

I declare myself agnostic on the issue, pending more information.  I'll
be the first to step to Pianka's defense, should I be convinced the
account is inaccurate.

Joseph