[extropy-chat] Why Think About the Future Now?

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Thu Apr 6 22:15:33 UTC 2006

Why think about the future now?  Why not wait until it gets here to
think about it?  The best answer would seem to be that there are some
problems we could better avoid if we start dealing with them now, or
some opportunities that can be better exploited if we start working
on them now.    So what are these leverage problems and
opportunities?   It seems to me that outcome-oriented discussions of
the future should more consciously be trying to find these leverage
points, and once found should be focused on them.   Of course those
who just discuss the future because it is fun can ignore this issue.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323