[extropy-chat] Healthy, wealthy and wise

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 15 00:03:26 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of "Hal Finney"
>
> Frankly I don't see how you can say so dogmatically that sleeping 2-3
> hours per day is bogus when you grant that some people sleep only 4
> hours per day...
> Hal

My own experience with this was in college where I heard that the first few
hours of sleep are more efficient than the last few.  So I reasoned that if
I could split my sleep into two 3-hour naps a day instead of the usual about
6.5 hours, that might work.  That summer I had a job from 0400 to 0800 as a
front desk guy, which didn't require a lot of concentration, but did require
me to be awake and alert.  I tutored students in the afternoons, and the
evenings were spent with my sweetheart, to whom I have been married for the
past 22 years.

So I slept from about 0030 to 0320, then again from about 0830 to about
1030.  I was able to sleep less, but I went about in a hazy dreamlike state
for much of that time.  That was kinda cool actually.

In a couple months I will begin a new experiment in sleep deprivation, but
this time I will be required to produce a much higher level of concentration
on my job.  Report to follow in about August.