[extropy-chat] (offlist) RE: I keep asking myself...

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Sun Apr 16 06:52:35 UTC 2006

> Which is the 'real' you? That's a non-question. They both are.

Hi Ben,

Congratulations!  You figured out the right answer to what
I used to call "The Identity Paradox" back in the '60s.

No, I'm not inviting you to become a member of a secret
cult, but sometimes these ideas about identity seem *so*
perplexing to folks that all I can do is hope that over
time more people begin to understand.

On these lists, over many, many, many, many, long years
we've had INNUMERABLE arguments about it.

Yet I take it as a good sign that no one responded to your
post!  After all, you did explain it very well. So maybe...

Nah. Many people simply do not and never will understand.
Some of them may even be so immune to understanding that
were they to branch into separate instances and then
recombine (by merging memories), they'd *still* refuse to
believe that duplicates are selves.

For me, I just cannot imagine the hostility that most people
(would) have towards their duplicates.  It grates them in some
deep hidden way, as though their identity were being threatened
... hmm, there's a thought.  Usually when you bring up duplicates
the very first thing that occurs to people is to make slaves of
their duplicates.  (This shows you how deep the antipathy towards
regarding them as other selves goes;  they would normally never
think of enslaving even *other* people---but their copies?  Not
only are they seen as not-self, they are seen as even sub-human.

While I'm at it I might as well copy this to the list.  NO, everyone,
I don't want to get into more arguments about it. No one ever
changes his minds, as you know.

Lee

[Ben wrote]