[extropy-chat] infinite fun but finite tunes?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 14:21:51 UTC 2006

On 4/15/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Did we already write all the good songs?  Or did they just migrate over to
> the country western stations?  Or what?

Seems to me there was a drift; music wandered from the simple and catchy
into areas of greater strangeness and complexity as the 70s, 80s and 90s
went by, ultimately losing its form and disintegrating. (It's been awhile
since I've listened to the radio, but when I hear it played in shops,
current music seems to be a 50/50 mix of random noise and corrupted versions
of older hits.) That's in the West, mind you; the Japanese still seem to be
doing some good stuff, though I don't know all that much about their end of
things.

Speaking of Japanese music, there's... I'm not sure how to describe it, an
_inverse_ viral tune? The Matsuri Uta from the anime series 'Blue Seed', one
of the most divinely brilliant pieces ever composed; one could quite believe
it has the properties ascribed to it in the story... and it cannot be
retained in memory. Not just the lyrics (since they're in a language I don't
speak, of course I can't remember them), but the tune itself... oh, if I
heard it played again in a thousand years I'd recognize it instantly, but a
day after hearing it, I can't reproduce a note of it from memory. Anyone
else ever come across tunes like this?