[extropy-chat] Way, way, way over the edge...

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 21:05:54 UTC 2006

On 4/18/06, Darin Sunley wrote:
<snip>
> Let's be real here: If I HAD written a 30 page tome on Systematic
> Theology, deriving Christian theology as it pertains to marriage from
> an exhaustive list of scriptural quotes, cross referenceing with a
> dozen noted theologians you had never heard of, you wouldn't even have
> read the message, would you have?
>
> I thank you for you comments on the form of my message. I invite your
> comments on the actual content of what I wrote.

The site I referenced does quote chapter and verse and discusses what
the writers were actually talking about 2,000 years ago and how
different modern schools of religion interpret those verses.

<http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibl.htm>

It basically comes down to the fact that Xians take those verses to
mean whatever they want them to mean.  Very useful technique.

Of course, Xians should not be using the Old Testament at all, as Paul
wrote that If we insist on placing ourselves under the old law, we are
obligated to keep every commandment of the law (Gal. 5:3).
i.e. you have to obey all the cleansing laws, sacrifices, death and
other severe penalties for crimes, slavery, treatment of women as
property, polygamy, etc. etc.
The Old Testament is obviously very silly in modern society.

BillK