[extropy-chat] Quick question

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Wed Apr 19 00:17:07 UTC 2006

A B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to put together a new post, but I have a basic question:
> What would be a high upper bound on the firing rate of the most
> active of human neurons (from anywhere in the human brain)?   < 2000
> Hertz ? I tried to find this info by Googling but I wasn't
> succcessful.

According to Kurzweil in "The Singularity is Near", a neuron-firing
cycle takes under 20 milliseconds to perform, which works out to 50Hz
Elsewhere he mentions something like a neuron performing 200
'operations' per second, which you might interpret as 200Hz.

In either case, its way less than 2000Hz.