[extropy-chat] Way, way, way over the edge...

Anne-Marie Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 19 02:19:33 UTC 2006

Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:    On 4/18/06, Anne-Marie Taylor wrote:

> ilsa.bartlett at gmail.com wrote:
> >*what* precisely is the Biblical basis for objecting to homosexuals? (If

> Not that I'm an expert but my mother is a diocese

Do you mean she is Catholic? Otherwise, it appears that she must be very large.

  >>No, She's Prostestant and Anglican, but we still read the same Bible:)

> and I have read the
> Bible numerous of times. Their is no clear message from "God" per say
> that says that homosexuality is wrong, it was man that decided that it
> was "BAD".

Of course, many of us would point out that the Bible was written by men.

  >>It doesn't matter, women (whether the norms where right or wrong)
  >>still played a role in their own way. It was very common not so long ago,
  >>that women used pen names when writing to hide from the norms
  >>problem, just because a name is written down, doesn't mean it can be
  >>verified.

> In cegep, the best explanation I ever received from one of my teachers;
> "Homosexuality is just as important as heterosexuality as is regulates
> the amount of people reproducing on the planet. If too many women
> and men copulate too quickly it may endanger society, therefore, humans
> are born differently to unsure the safety of our survival."
> I'm not sure of the statistics behind it but it made a huge amount of sense
> me.

What a nice lovely thing to say! I'm sure it must feel good and right
to many people, but it makes no sense in terms of evolutionary or
ecological theory.

  >>Like I said, statisticaly i'm not sure,  it just seemed plausible to me.
  >>If i'm wrong then so be it, I would love to see statistics to proove
  >>me wrong, then at least,  I could analize it and think of it differently.

  When you say it is the "best explanation you ever received", do you
mean it gave you the best nice feeling, or do you mean that it seemed
to fit all your observations better than any other explanation?

  >>it fit all my observations to this date., better than any other
  >>explanation.

> I believe many smart and educated men wrote the Bible as much
> as I believe that there where a bunch of idiots that wanted to deny
> scientific data:)

Some people feel that is good and wise to accept that a person can
never know something for sure, so we should not try to judge other
people or their beliefs.

  >>I can't comment on this. I'm not sure.  People do judge and people
  >>have beliefs.
  >>My opinion (for what it is worth) I don't judge..or at least, I try my best
  >>never to judge until I have read enough to at least feel comfortable
  >>giving  references.

  Other people think that that some ideas work better than other ideas,
and that there are all kinds of good and bad ideas in the world, and
that we should always try to judge the value of our beliefs and other
people's beliefs.

What do you think?

  I think any belief system is like listening to someone talk.  If your open and
  really interested, it will be fascinating.
  If your not, it's because your stuck in your own bubble and aren't interested
  in a global environment:)
  I hope that's ok to answer:)

> I hope I have been helpful
> And of course, this is just my opinion:)
> Anna

Thanks Anna. Many of us appreciate your unique presence on the ExI list.

- Jef

  >>Thank you, and in return, I thank everyone on the Extropy chat for
  >>giving me an advance class on technology, science and AI:)

  Anna