[extropy-chat] I keep asking myself...

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Thu Apr 20 15:59:54 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvet977 at hotmail.com>

> That's the other way around. Subjectively you wouldn't feel alive, while
> objectively others would have to agree that you are alive.

How do you know? Who did you ask? The copy of you is convinced you're the
same person you always were, you remembers being you yesterday and you
didn't even know you were a copy until I told you 30 seconds ago; all
your friends say you're the same old you, and the you of yesterday is of
course unavailable to answer questions. Subjectively the man who claims
to be you thinks and feels he is you, objectively your friends think it is
you, so how do you know it is not you? Did you see it in a dream?

> It's the trajectory of your mind hardware in time and space that actually
> gives you individuality.

The individual space time trajectories of every atom in your body? The
individual space time trajectories of  atoms that get completely recycled
ever few weeks? Millions of atoms in your body right now were once part of
Julius Caesar's body, does that make you Caesar? There is nothing unique
about that mind hardware, so how can it give individuality to you?

> It's perfectly alright for you to think that subjective experience of your
> original instance will magically reappear once you get revived but it's
> simply not true.

Don't talk to me about magic, there is only one way you could be right, if
we have a soul. I don't believe in souls.

> It's going to be very hard for people to accept the fact that anytime
> their mind stops they die.

Tell me, do you think in general whenever anything stops it is imposable to
start it up again, of is it something about minds that makes it true? If so
then  just what is that "something"?

And I asked this question before but you ignored it, if you ever need major
surgery you would refuse a general anesthetic? Would you tell the surgeons
to cut quickly and just bight down on a stick? After all, under a general
anesthetic there is no mind, your brain is no more conscious than your
liver.

> I guarantee you that you can find not a single paradox that could make
> this logic break down.

I'm pleased I have a guarantee, please direct me to your claims department.

  John K Clark