[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 20 22:43:45 UTC 2006

>  Heartland wrote:
>
>  "I view mind as analogous to movement. If I throw a baseball and choose to view
> its
> flight inside a Planck Interval then I might have to conclude that ball's
> movement
> ceases to exist during that interval. But this would not be true. Movement exists
> as long as potential and kinetic energies don't dissipate."
>
>  But, I think that is the true nature of motion. When you break down motion into
> very small units of space and time, it has a non - continuous nature. It has a
> discrete nature, kind of like a single quantum (but only as an analogy).

Yes, Jeffrey, I get what you are saying, but consider that "small units" is just
our human, artificial way of describing our reality. Map (measurement) is not
territory. In this case the actual "territory" is a mind process that is
"perfectly" continuous at all smallest imaginable units bigger than 0. The
measurement doesn't define reality. It's the reality that influences measurement.

S.