[extropy-chat] The NSA's disclosures on UFOs

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Apr 26 03:58:14 UTC 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 5:54 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> There do seem to be a lot of reliable military UFO
> reports as well as intercepted communications from
> foreign military pilots regarding UFO encounters.
> It is nice to see that the U.S. Intelligence agencies
> DO take UFOs seriously although their official stance
> is that UFOs do not SEEM to pose a threat to national
> security.

Since military pilots are "up there" more often and around more
exotic conditions and spend more time scanning the skies, I would
suspect that a disproportionate number of such reports would come
from military pilots.

> That many reliable military personnel have had
> encounters with UFOs, with collaborating radar
> evidence seems to raise the Bayesian posterior
> probability of their existense quite high in my
> estimation.

The only added datum in this paragraph is possible collaborating
radar evidence.  Since I presume military pilots aren't given to
hallucination this says at best that at least some portion of things
they saw were real physical objects not transparent to radar.  It
doesn't suggest these somethings where extra-terrestrial though.

> One of the more interesting tidbits of information I
> found was the Gersten piece that states that "during
> October, November, and December of 1975, reliable
> military personnel repeatedly sighted unconventional
> aerial objects in the vicinity of nuclear-weapons
> storage areas, aircraft alert areas, and
> nuclear-missile control facilities at [lists several
> Air Force bases...] Many of the sightings were
> confirmed by radar."

I don't see anything of terrible significance about 1975.  Do you?

Since military pilots spend a lot of time around military
installation where these nuclear weapons, air systems and so on are
it is not at all surprising that many of the sightings are around
such locations.  As many types of experimental aircraft also fly
around such locations we may have a partial explanation of at least
some sightings.   Also such sites are targets for surveillance by
other terrestrial parties using whatever perhaps exotic systems can
be fielded.

>    There is also what I surmise to be a bit of humor
> on the part of the NSA as they include a clipping from
> the national enquirer (NSA spooks ARE geeks too after
> all). The one thing I did notice however was that my
> desk top flickered a litle and I found a strange
> process that was actively using my CPU in my task
> manager. After I ended the strange process from task
> manager, the flickering stopped so be prepared to be
> "snooped" if you go to the site. But hey, if you got
> nothing to hide, check out the site. It was eye
> opening.

As you are using Windows strange behavior and lack of security is
something I am surprised you saw as an anomaly.  :-)