[extropy-chat] The NSA's disclosures on UFOs

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 05:56:35 UTC 2006

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>
wrote:

> Considering how easy it would be, for any aliens
> capable of traveling
> here in the first place, to snoop around with UFOs
> the size of a
> bacterium, the prior probability for flying saucers
> is so low... well,

Huh? How would they fit in bacterium sized craft? If
they just wanted to send an "unmanned" probe then
maybe. But if they are out there it's not like they
are just now figuring ot we are here. How would
bacterium sized probes generate enough wattage to
contact "Houston control" from many LY? How would it
generate enough thrust to swim upsteram of the solar
wind?

> Pete Bertine put it better than I did:
>
> "If a ship landed in my yard and LGMs stepped out,
> I’d push past their
> literature and try to find the cable that dropped
> the saucer on my
> roses.  Lack of a cable or any significant burning
> to the flowers, I’d
> then grab a hammer and start knocking about in the
> ship till I was
> convinced that nothing said “Intel Inside.”  Then
> when I discovered a
> “Flux Capacitor” type thing I would finally stop and
> say, “Hey, cool
> gadget!”  Assuming the universal benevolence of the
> LGMs, I’d yank it
> out and demand from the nearest "Grey” (they are the
> tall nice ones),
> “where the hell did this come from?”  Greys don’t
> talk, they communicate
> via telepathy, so I’d ignore the voice inside my
> head.  Then stepping
> outside the saucer and sitting in a lawn chair, I’d
> throw pebbles at the
> aliens till I was sure they were solid.  Then I’d
> look down at the “Flux
> Capacitor” and make sure it hadn’t morphed into my
> bird feeder.
> Finally, with proof in my hand and aliens sitting on
> my deck (they’d be
> offered beers, though I’ve heard that they absorb
> energy like a plant)
> I’d grab my cell phone and tell my doctor that I’m
> having a serious
> manic episode with full-blown visual
> hallucinations."

Well I don't know who this Pete Bertine is but his
thought processes sound kind of convoluted. I would
just knock the LGM over the head and steal their ship.
It might not work but it sounds more expedient than
trying to dismantle it under their noses. He sounds
like one of those guys that would have been weeded out
in an earlier era for thinking rather than acting
during a crisis.

Did you actually check out the website? I promise I
did not put the NSA up to this. :)

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"A human being is part of the whole called by us 'the universe,' a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening the circle of understanding and compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

-St. Einstein