[extropy-chat] The NSA's disclosures on UFOs

Martin Striz mstriz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 17:23:17 UTC 2006

On 4/26/06, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> what wild life photographer
> or reconaissance operative approaches his subjects
> stamping his feet, announcing his motives, and playing
> his favorite CDs?

Or flashing blinkety lights?

> > Do you think it is merely coincidence that so many
> > UFOs occur near
> > military bases?  Do you think this is because aliens
> > happen to have a
> > peculiar interest in ancient (from their
> > perspective) weapons systems,
> > or is a more parimonious explanation in order?
>
> Well the most parsimonious explanation is that any
> beings capable of coming to this planet from elsewhere
> are not stupid.

Yes.  If they could find a way to get here, they could find a way not
to be detected.  Our knowledge of their existence is pure fantasy.

For centuries people were visited by incubi and succubi, or talking
animals.  Since the "space age" starting in the 1920s, people have
been visited by aliens.  It's the same archetypical psychological
phenomenon with culturally-specified manifestations.

I haven't seen the data on this (perhaps you know?), but it seems that
the height of UFO sightings was the period 1950 - 1980.  Some
psychologists have suggested that this hysteria was a result of Cold
War anxiety mixed with Sci Fi culture.

Or maybe the aliens just lost interest?

Martin