[extropy-chat] Commentary: Does Karl Schroeder's opinion reallymatter?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 16:39:36 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, Robert Bradbury wrote:
<snip>
> 3. While Linux 2.6 will run on *old* machines (I've got it on a 75MHz
> Pentium with 96MB of memory), if you want to run X-windows, Firefox or
> virtual machines you need at least mid-range Pentium 3 or 4 and a minimum of
> 512MB of memory (1GB *much* better).

The small Linux versions like Puppy or DSL run quite adequately on old pcs.
I have an old Compaq 90MHz Pentium 1 laptop, 72MB of memory, with
Puppy, DSL and Win98 multibooting. You can use the old pc for all your
email and browsing while the main pc runs molecular modelling and
heats the room.  :)

BillK