[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 15:55:32 UTC 2006

--- Heartland <velvet977 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> Anything from 1-D to 3-D also exists/survives in
> >> 4-D. My point is that the fundamental nature of
> >> brain structure is 3-D while mind nature is 4-D.
> >> What I mean is that a projection of the brain
> >> from 4-D to 3-D retains the same functionality
> >> of the brain but it isn't possible to go lower
> >> than 3-D and still end up with a functional
> >> brain.
> >

> > But "a functional brain" occurs in time, and a
> > static brain frozen in time performs no functions.
>
> What the brain *does* through matter in space and
> time is a 4-D object. There is a clear distinction
> between hardware, software, and an activity which
> both hardware and software determine. Brain is not
> the mind.

 I presented an ostensible counter example to your
claim [*] yet your response ignores it and instead
addresses a claim I never made. I never said there was
no distinction between hardware (brain) software
(mind). I said there's no such thing as a brain that
has any "functionality" minus time and that brain
functions not associated with 'mind' exist as
discernable functions in time, ie, the 4th D.

 Your claim seems to point in the right direction in
that mind involves what a brain does. 'Mind' is like a
verb whereas 'brain' is more like a noun. But my point
is that the actual phenomena do not allow such a
perfect distinction. Brain functions that are not
involved in producing what we call 'mind' but that are
features that define 'brain' are also properly verb
like, or temporally embedded. So the claim atop this
post appears to be soundly falsified. ~Ian

[*]
http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2006-April/026461.html