[extropy-chat] Optimal computer configurations [Was: Commentary: Does Karl Schroeder's opinion reallymatter?]

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 18:41:23 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> Nothing wrong with that though I think DSL and perhaps Puppy are still based
> on Linux 2.4.  2.6 is "supposed" to better for interactive use (though
> Firefox's abuse of the VM system is making it difficult for me to accept
> that premise).

Yes, they are both on versions of the 2.4 kernel.  Puppy did move to
the 2.6 kernel but they were flooded with complaints from the users
(me included) because the 2.6 kernel wouldn't run on lots of old pcs.
So they reverted to 2.4.

Puppy uses Fvwm95 as the main window manager. This is a slightly
modified version of Fvwm v2.0,  JWM is also installed if you prefer
it. And users have got Fluxbox and IceWM running also as options.
DSL uses Fluxbox.  So no need for X Windows here.

The Dillo browser is *very* fast on old pcs, but they both have
Firefox available if you need a full-featured browser.

I keep reading about Firefox memory problems, but I live all day in
Firefox with 7 or 8 open tabs and have never had any problems (Linux
or Windows).  But I avoid heavy video or multimedia web use, so that
might be the clue.

> 1. Side note: Firefox works best (for me) with some extensions, esp.
> NoScript (selectively disable/enable Javascript); AdBlock (selectively block
> various ads) & Session Manager (lets you save & restore complete sessions in
> case Firefox memory usage gets out of hand).

You probably need a separate thread for favorite Firefox extensions.  :)
I prefer Adblock Plus, CustomizeGoogle and Bugmenot.
The PrefButtons and PrefBar extensions give a line of useful buttons
(customisable) including ones to switch on/off Javascript, Java,
Flash, and other functions.
I have more extensions installed, but they are not of general interest.
(There are hundreds available now for customisers gone mad!).

BillK