[extropy-chat] Planck time, and why it does not matter (was: "Dead Time" of the Brain)

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Apr 27 19:57:27 UTC 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 7:17 PM, Heartland wrote:
> Please explain how any activity *itself* (not representation of it)
> is information.
> Isn't information merely a part of a system that organizes that
> activity?

If it can be specified, it is not just information but finite
information.  Algorithms (and their implementations) are just compact/
efficient representations of static information.  How we choose to
represent information does not alter the underlying information content.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov_complexity

Think of the brain as nothing more than a Giant Look-Up Table (GLUT)
for the purposes of discussion.  It is a very simple process: given a
static index of all possible states, return the corresponding state
the index references.  The only "activity" that happens in the GLUT
brain is that a list of states is searched and a corresponding state
is returned.  The universe as a hash table.

For the GLUT brain, the algorithm for all activity (e.g. all those
bits that are not the static state in the table) can be specified
succinctly and finitely on a cocktail napkin.  The passage of time in
the GLUT brain is a function of the number of look-ups that occur and
nothing more.  Think of a single look-up as Planck time, the
fundamental transition in state that creates "activity".

If Planck time suddenly changed from 5.391^-44 seconds to 5.391^-43
seconds, would you even notice?  How about to 3.154^9 seconds (a
century)?  Your experience of time and "activity" is not based on the
latency between state transitions but is only dependent on those
transitions occurring, since you define your experience of time as a
function of the number of those transitions.  If the GLUT brain
stopped functioning for a second or a year, would the GLUT brain
notice?  After all, it has no sense of time outside of a sort of
transition counter.  The result of the next lookup is not dependent
on when that lookup occurs or how long the lookup takes to happen.

And just to nip the inevitable "but brains are not GLUTs" argument in
the bud:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

Which basically says,"yes, they are" in a lot more words.

J. Andrew Rogers