[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 03:34:35 UTC 2006

> So if I write 1 and then 1 (two ones are exactly the same)
> you're
> saying that I wrote 1 once?

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
"No.  What he is saying is that the first "1" is indistinguishable
from the second "1".  You wrote "1" twice, but the fact that they
show up in different places does not make those two instances
fundamentally different."

Obviously, I know exactly what he is saying. He's talking about *type* while I'm
trying to point out to him a difference between type and *instances* of the same
type.

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
"A pattern that shows up in two places is still the same pattern it was when it
showed up in one place. Two different instances in isolation do not give you two
different patterns."

Yes. Two different instances in isolation do not cause an extra type of pattern to
emerge. But two separate instances of the same type are objectively distinguishable
by location in time and space so they are no longer equivalent *as instances*. So 1
+ 1 = 2 instances of "1".

S.