[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 15:26:06 UTC 2006

Hi Heartland,

  Heartland wrote:

  "It's also important to note that atoms as 4-D objects are non-mind processes so my
conclusion that irreversible death occurs when 4-D mind object degenerates into
non-mind objects still stands."

  Yes, I still fully agree with this statement.

  If a mind-process is stopped, as it is in vitrification, the mind is verifiably absent, the "original" person is forever dead. The revived person will be a "copy", no argument from me.

  But, I still believe that the "illusion" of continuity will be present. The subjective experience will not be lost. I believe that revival from suspension would "feel" no different than waking from a dreamless sleep.

  I say this because I think that we ourselves are continually dieing in a permanent way already. At the end of each "round" of "life" (I can't yet say how long this is) we die permanently and experience *nothingness*. It is the physical substance of our brains (the atoms in their particular arrangement) that manifests the next "copy" that "occupies" our brains and our lives, and this cycle continues on and on until the brain is physically destroyed and cannot support a conscious mind at all.

  I would just like to provide my speculations on the "experience" of permanent death. When the mind process stops, and the mind is absent, permanent death has occurred, the person has "entered" nothingness. But nothingness, is not anything that can be "experienced", not even in principle. Nothingness is not equivalent to a sensory deprivation tank. You do not "see" a black void when you die. You do not "hear" nothingness. You are not "frightened" by the "experience", because it is *not* an experience. Just remember, we have each, without doubt, already been dead once... the entire time before we were conceived.

  If the premise above is correct, and we *are* continually dieing permanently, we would never even be aware of the fact - except by our knowledge that it was true. But this doesn't have any practical consequences (only philosophical ones), and I still love this "illusion".

  As John Clark has suggested:

  Death is just a big sissy!

  A bully. And one who's ass I plan to kick when he comes looking for me.

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich