[extropy-chat] darfur

Ned Late nedlate2006 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 21:59:14 UTC 2006

Here's another spin on this: in the sixth paragraph you'll notice a Ron Fisher wrote that participating in the darfur genocide protest is a "socially responsible, good conscience thing to do". Feel Goodism. That is to say it makes me feel better-- 'look at me, I'm so decent I'll take time out from my day to go to a protest'. The protest is worthy but the motivation is mostly 'look at me, I'm so concerned, sympathetic & decent-- I deserve recognition, hope the press photographer snaps a picture of me'.
  And how about those that attend anti-globalization rallies, or attend protests against oil corporations, driving to the demonstrations in their gas-guzzlers? Americans have so little savoir faire, no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of Americans. Isn't taste to be considered extropian?

  >We have pretty much eschewed politics here, but if anyone has any ideas or >suggestions on how an extropian-minded person should look at this human tragedy I >would think it would be appropriate here. As long as we keep out of the tiring old >republicans this and democrats that, keep it as a high level world-as-participants >discussion, we are all ears.

  Counter-suggestions welcome.