[extropy-chat] Songs from the Belly of the Whale

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Wed Aug 2 19:21:42 UTC 2006

Dear Extropes,

Eugene sent me an article about wavelets that really made my day -

A friend of mine, Mark Fischer, has a nice write-up about him in the New
York Times. He transforms whale calls using wavelet transforms, and more
recently turned those gorgeous pictures into animations playing
simultaneously with the calls.

Here are his animations on Google Video

http://aguasonic.com/Movies/

My favorite is this (part of the the Nollman session described
below  minus the guitar)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8754908351846944032&q=aguasonic

To see his work, images, that New York Times article, whale call MP3s
and more, go to my Wavelet Sound Fun page and scroll down until you see
the following text, then you can click on the links -

http://www.amara.com/current/wavesoundfun.html

=================

Whale Calls

Mark Fischer has been analyzing whale calls in wavelet space, producing
beautiful wavelet transforms that I think could stand in as a new form
of art. For example, see this

Blue whale "A" call (165 kBytes),

which was transformed with a Biorthogonal 3.1 wavelet. (The vertical
axis is not linear, so the bottom is a little stretched.) You can see a
gallery of transformed whale sounds of at interspecies.com, watch and
hear different species on Google Video, and read a nice New York Times
article about his work. Finally, don't miss his fine collection of MP3
sounds from whales, dolphins and assorted sea life, too!

=================

Mark Fischer's Web site:

http://aguasonic.com/

My wavelet web site (now with a new look) that explains the basic ideas
http://www.amara.com/current/wavelet.html

And an "interspecies" session between Jim Nollman, his guitar and whales
and dolphins lending to soothing and weirdly wonderful music (some of
you might remember when I posted this a few years ago here)

of Many Dolphins, Whales and a Guitar:
http://www.interspecies.com/pages/dolphin%20realtime.html

Ciao!
Amara

Amara Graps, PhD             email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics        vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers            URL:   http://www.amara.com/