[extropy-chat] Extreme Intelligence

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Aug 3 18:25:21 UTC 2006

On Aug 2, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Could an intelligence exist using our basic human architecture
> that could rapidly solve problems far harder than anyone can
> solve today?
>
> Here is what I have in mind: suppose first that there is a
> canonical way to extend the IQ scale. Then would it be possible
> for a set of atoms to exist, human in form, such that using our
> same sense organs and with a brain less than twice as large as
> ours it would have an IQ high enough to in one week flat
> accomplish any of the following?

What do you mean by "human in form"?  Looks like a human and acts
like a human and has human DNA, etc but is much smarter?  If so then
adding circuitry and deep connectivity to a human brain, preferably
within the skull, should allow quite a bit of improvement.  Replacing
select parts of the brain with electronic faster equivalents is one
way to do it.

>   * figure out how a fusion energy reactor could be designed,
>     and write up specifications sufficiently detailed so that
>     the rest of us could build the thing

Writing detailed specs is not a function of only greater
intelligence.  It takes slow meat world time.  So no unless the uber-
human is equipped with direct computer/brain IO.

>   * provide a specific outline of how an AGI could be coded-
>     up following the outline/design by a good software team
>     in six months

Predesigned and simply implemented software is largely mythological
for much simpler projects.  So no, not exactly.

>   * be able to understand at about normal reading speed any
>     book ever written, much as you can easily understand and
>     absorb everything being conveyed by a Dick-and-Jane book

Yes and no.  Order of new knowledge would be important due to
dependencies.  With that caveat and the caveat that actual learning
and retention were similarly enhanced, yes.

- samantha