[extropy-chat] Census Declaration - Transhumanism as a Religion?

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 04:12:42 UTC 2006

Transhumanism is definitely not a religion, imo! It'd be fun to fill it in
that way, but it's counterproductive I think, because we really need to
steer clear of being seen as religious as much as possible (too much
incorrect association with that already). I'll be putting down Atheist.

Actually, ethnic group is probably closer to the thing to use ;-)

Emlyn

On 07/08/06, kevin.osborne <kevin.osborne at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm about to complete my census declaration for the Australian
> national census tomorrow, and was wondering whether there is a
> concerted effort by Singulatarians/Futurists/Transhumanists to
> identify themselves as collective.
>
> I guess you can compare it to the 'Jedi' census-hacking thats been
> going on for years.
>
> I'm quite happy to complete my census declaration of religious
> affiliation as atheist but thought maybe we might be exploiting the
> chance to come to the notice of policy makers and/or the media by
> entering a moniker-of-choice suited to our little future-fetish.
>
> While I'm not the biggiest fan of 'Transhumanist' as a term (choosing
> to view 'being human' as more of an ideal, and less a biological
> birthright, I think we're only going to become *more* human as time
> progresses) I'm more than happy to enter it if that's the term we as a
> collective associate with the most; simply because I'd rather have ,
> for example, 1500 australian transhumanists on the polls than 500 each
> of singulatarian/futurist/transhumanist.
>
> So which term? And would it be extra cheeky to list it as my Ethnic
> origin as well?

Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *
Music downloads are online again!