[extropy-chat] Protecting Animal Companions' life from Garden Toxins

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 16 18:29:24 UTC 2006

My family does a lot of gardening.  Just recently, we have been building a
zen-like patio and pathway, planting foliage, etc.  To protect our dog and
cats, we have kept them inside during the time, but can't wait to let them
out again to enjoy.

One thing I have been careful about is keeping them away from weed kill
products.  But now I am unnerved that even products that have no warnings
could have dire consequences.

If you have animal companions and also a yard or garden, please read this
message I just received from a friend:

"Over the weekend the doting H+ companion of two young lab mixes purchased
Cocoa Mulch
from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it
was
advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso, decided
that
the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She
vomited a
few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't ac ting
lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for
her
morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died
instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further
investigation on the companies web site, this product is HIGHLY toxic to
dogs.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true
that
studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer
physical
harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However,
98% of
all dogs won't eat it."

True information about the mulch can be found here -
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoa.htm
This site gives the
following information:
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other
Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theo bromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really
attracts
dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred
in
the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution ? check what you are using in
your
gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theo bromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate ?
especially
dark or baker's chocolate ? which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a
xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog
that
ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells
developed
severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach
contents and
the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of
theobromine.

Please email the manufacturer at michellemessick at hersheys.com
and request that accurate information
about this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy."

Please pass this info on.

Natasha

http://mail2web.com/ .