[extropy-chat] how does google find out everything?

Michael Anissimov michaelanissimov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 03:32:55 UTC 2006

On 8/18/06, Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

>  But given the fact that page rankings are based in large part on links to
> ones pages is there much point to submitting non-spider linked pages unless
> you have some additional strategy for making ones page "popular" (e.g.
> submitting links to it in blogs, mailing lists, etc.)?

99% of SEO (search engine optimization) strategies are useless unless
you are a random porn site or some other site with thousands of
competitors with the same content.  Otherwise, word of mouth, original
content, or offering a service that people actually need are all king.

>  Also, has anyone ever run into the problem that you can't get to *all* of
> the pages the search engines claim are relevant?  I think at one point I
> tried to get  the page that included results 9,090 to 9,099 of some million
> result search (this is an example) and the search engine wouldn't cough it
> up.  (Or is it something weird like you have to go through the preceding 900
> pages of results in order for it to cough of the 901st page?)

I've had this same problem.  My guess is just that, for whatever
reason, Google forbids it.

--
Michael Anissimov
Lifeboat Foundation      http://lifeboat.com