[extropy-chat] Bainbridg today in Transvision06 on personalitycapture vs info-resurrection

John john.heritage at v21.me.uk
Sun Aug 20 00:56:49 UTC 2006

This is an idea that I've already spent a lot of time thinking about.

It's not just useful in terms of extending the lifespan of your 'empirical
knowledge's essence', but it's practically useful too.

Humans = mass + lots (and I mean lots) of additional mass to support them in
space

Space exploration needs high velocities to explore in short lifespans (and
even if we manage to massively expand our own lifespans, we still won't want
to spend 1,000,000 getting somewhere because everything will have decayed by
the time we get back from the visit)

High velocities + high mass = insane amounts of energy 'wasted' during
transit + immense complexity of craft design

It would be far, far easier to explore the universe by sending probes out
with sensory networks on them that could be connected to our own nervous
system and used as temporary bodies. Probes that didn't need food / water /
heat / entertainment / room / positive pressure / etc during transit. That
would also involve a large amount of communication lag (years using light
and for just the closest stars) - you'd need to come up with some very funky
method of experiencing consciousness & massive lifespan expansion to do it
that way (if the human was still back on Earth in their normal body). There
are also problems with even establishing communications over that range
given signal divergence / distortion / absorption etc. Yes, technology gets
better all the time, but some things are pushing the boundaries of what can
actually be done according to physics, like keeping a laser beam converged,
phased and out of the path of other objects over a few million years of
travel is more than difficult. It's also an arguably inefficient use of
time.

The ultimate would be to condense your consciousness into a form that didn't
require a high mass to store it and support it.

I believe Arthur C Clarke mentions this idea either in 2001 or 3001, that
humans eventually explore the universe as crystals of light - crystalised
consciousness.

Given the developments in storage and holography, this is far from sci-fi!

Condensed matter states (bose einstien condensates etc) mean that we're
approaching the potential of atomic level storage - slowing light to the
point that it actually stops in the (none linear) optics. These technologies
will develop themselves as part of the drive for better 'normal' computer
storage here on Earth - there's no need for transhumanism to get too
involved in that to get it moving, the big semi companies will do it
themselves. Provided a full scale neural interface can be developed (which
does need transhumanist help), the condensation capacity using this kind of
medium for our own consciousness would be gigantic. Our entire physical
presence could probably be reduced down to a few kilograms with it's support
equipment. The actual 'crystal' of data would be pathetically tiny. Provided
my back of the hand calculations are roughly right, there's potential for
condensing an entire brain down to ~0.0000015mg of mass - including all the
white matter in the core that doesn't do anywhere near as much as the cortex
& the support tissues, like the blood supply (which won't be included in
reality).

I suspect that by the time we reach that stage, we won't bother sending lots
of individual crystallised consciousnesses out to a distant planet. We'll
just send some form of amalgamation or exploration group out to collect
experiences and bring them back. The mass of consciousnesses will probably
just stay in one place, accumulate data, experience it and work on it whilst
the 'scouts' are away experiencing new things to bring back.

For example, say you could record everything your nervous system experiences
for an hour. You go to a concert and record it.

If you'd be happy to give away your experience for free (or even sell it) to
a group of other people with such interfaces, they're likely to just enjoy
your recording and not bother going to the concert themselves (just like
people do with CD's and have done with tapes and records - that they have to
pay close to ticket prices sometimes to get anyway - provided that the price
of the recording isn't disturbingly higher than just going in person, but
even still... sometimes situations will still make the recording the better
choice). When that concert is two thousand years away, people are almost
certainly not going to bother going in person. Especially if going to that
concert makes it much harder (impossible) for them to buy any other CDs
because they're so far from the store. Instead, people stay at home more
often and buy a load of different CDs.

I think the same will hold true for space exploration.

Another point I've thought about is... it's a very human idea to think that
we're instantly going to want to run off and explore the rest of the
universe. We will have just dived into a world where we can manipulate
everything about it and exist on an entirely different plane of
consciousness. I suspect what we will discover is that most of the universe
is pretty boring and not worth anywhere near the time, energy and effort it
takes to go and look at. That we'll actually be able to explore as
interesting things, or more so, without actually going anywhere. We'll send
of probes or scout groups to go and investigate things that look moderately
interesting and spend the rest of our time trying to go to some even higher
plane within our own personal universes - e.g. perhaps we'll work out how to
disperse our consciousness about the universe as discrete pockets that
somehow stay in coherence with each other. When they get back, the
information they've scooped up will probably be 50%+ practical - e.g. how to
build a better method of storage / transport etc. By comparison with our own
world's a lot of it will probably seem quite tame.

All the best!
John