[extropy-chat] Bainbridg today in Transvision06 on personalitycapture vs info-resurrection

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Aug 20 16:58:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 11:25:27AM -0400, Keith Henson wrote:

> >High velocities + high mass = insane amounts of energy 'wasted' during
> >transit + immense complexity of craft design
>
> None of these are a problem.  The output of the sun is enough to launch
> 1500 tons per second to near light speed.

Sun's output is only ours to take if it is not already otherwise utilized,
and buying a second of total stellar output might be prohibitively
expensive.

> >I suspect that by the time we reach that stage, we won't bother sending lots
> >of individual crystallised consciousnesses out to a distant planet.
>
> You kind of miss the point.  Exploring is the fun part for some people.

Yes, a large population of agents stochastically sampling behaviour
space for a long time will come up with about anything.

> >Another point I've thought about is... it's a very human idea to think that
> >we're instantly going to want to run off and explore the rest of the
> >universe.
>
> The percentage of the population who would do this is extremely small.  I
> doubt you could find 10,000 in the whole human population.  I have actually

I think just 10^4 explorer types is too low, probably by a factor of 10^3
at least.