[extropy-chat] Still confused:)

Anne Corwin sparkle_robot at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 18:52:31 UTC 2006

PJ: Hi, I remember you from the conversation on Michael's blog...the point that I initially reacted to in what you seemed to be saying was the suggestion that in order to get more women interested in H+, we somehow need to present technology as something that can be applied to traditional, stereotypical feminine tasks and roles.  I probably read your note about vaccuum cleaners and video games as childrens' entertainment more literally than you intended it to be taken, though.

  However, the above is resolved (in a sense) by your reconceptualization of the "goal at hand" as a form of bilingualism -- in part because this call for bilingualism is gender-neutral and therefore more realistic, since while generalizations may be useful in terms of allowing statistical analysis of trends within a population, they have an unfortunate tendency to neglect the outliers.  And outliers are just as real and valid as anyone else.

  I certainly don't have any problem with appealing to different thought processes...one of my own pet causes is that of "neurodiversity", which takes the position (at least in my interpretation) that society has an unfortunate tendency to pathologize things that, far from being defects, are simply evidence that there's more than one valid way to function and exist as a sentient being.  And by recognizing these alternate / nonstandard ways of functioning, more people in society will be able to contribute and coexist peacefully and productively.

  I think better communication between diverse groups and persons can certainly occur without forcing those groups or persons to assimilate or sacrifice traits and talents valued by such entities.  However, I am not in agreement with an occasional tendency I observe wherein, whenever a smallish group / movement / philosophy forms, this entity (however loosely defined) must start applying role constraints to its members (e.g., "You're a woman, so your job is to recruit more women!") for the purpose of perpetuating the group's ideas.

  Nevertheless, language and practices that specifically exclude or discriminate (and I realize not all discrimination is overt or obvious) must certainly be watched and controlled so they don't end up alienating people unjustly.  I would suggest that perhaps if this bilingualism is to become an actualized goal, it first needs to be determined what the point of the resultant bilingual communication should be (I suppose it would be to bring liberating technological advances to a wider sphere of people, thereby improving quality of life and opportunity for everyone) and whether there is actually any genuine discriminatory /exclusionary force (or forces) at work.

  If there is, it should certainly be identified and pointed out and addressed.  And of course, there's nothing wrong with making technology fun...humor is one of the best ways to make anything less scary to a wider audience.