[extropy-chat] Rational thinking

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Fri Dec 1 18:08:17 UTC 2006

To butt in on a conversation between Lee and Eliezer,

> Actually, given the potential for miscommunication, I simply wondered
> if you shared my belief that in terms of rationality the Founders
> were no different than kamikaze pilots (the ones, that is---to
> acknowledge criticism from other quarters---who felt an overwhelming
> reverence for the Emperor and a keen sense of duty and loyalty to
> Japan).

One of my conclusions from the discussion that Jef and I were having is
that while you can call them both rational, they aren't the same kind of
rationality.  The kamikaze pilots were doing the best they could in a
fairly constrained situation.  Their previous actions and decisions led
them to where they were, but in context, they weren't acting
irrationally.  The founders of the constitution were calmly considering
all options, discussing alternative theories and approaches, and
thinking about the effects of their proposals as far out as they could
see.

I'm willing to say that they're both rational processes, but I wouldn't
say that they're not different.

Chris
--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
Blog:   http://pancrit.org