[extropy-chat] Civilization and War

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 3 05:20:57 UTC 2006

[Lee, you are right about changing the subject line,
but one person on another list says 'leave the subject
line as constant as possible so too many subject lines
are not on the screen', and another says to change it
as often as possible- matter of opinion]
It's not that you are morally wrong-- completely the
opposite-- but doesn't war have other (admittedly
reactionary) functions? doesn't war reduce population?
war can provide male bonding, individual and group
discipline for both sexes (many women are in Defense);
character development.
 In '69 our family went to Vietnam protests, the
elderly people in the neighborhood saying: "you think
this is the last war? 25 years ago we thought WWII was
the last war, but it wasn't". They were right, we
protesters thought it was the last war, but we found
out later how war didn't think it needed our
permission to continue.
How long do you think the Iraq insurgency will go on?
5 years? 10? 20? 30? And what is the likely outcome?
We'll be forced to withdraw and instead of dozens
being killed in Iraq every day, the number will be in
the hundreds. You think?