[extropy-chat] Rational thinking

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 14:34:26 UTC 2006

Most of you at this list have a positive outlook towards the future. I am motivated by an almost entirely negative outlook perceiving the past as being a horror that renders the future if nothing else a welcome escape from the past. The details of the future are naturally unknown, we can die in accidents. I thoroughly agree with Jeremy Rifkin that we live in an Orwellian world where truth is lies and lies are truth. Worse, perhaps, since hate so often disguises itself as love, all relationships are called into question, and philosophies and religions are-- to say the very least-- suspect.
  You might see this negative outlook as irrational yet not everyone shares the positive rationalism that such as philosophers, physicians, professors and scientists subscribe to.