[extropy-chat] second life question

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 23:27:49 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Gender / Age distribution in MMORPGs is mainly dependent on who
> has the spare time available to spend game playing.

Ain't that the truth...

So it tends towards younger men and older home maker women.

This I would raise an eyebrow at but find plausible.  Who for heavens sake
watches those soap operas all day long???

See The Daedalus Project.
> <http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/000194.php>

Haven't read, don't know.

(Sorry to disappoint Spike, but the younger, mate-seeking women are
> not the women playing MMORPGs).

Now, now, now, Spike has a fine S.O. and should be planning on dedicating
the next 20 years of his life on focusing the little one to adapt to the
singularity (I know of other parents of young'uns who seem to be focused on
ignoring it, which IMO isn't a good idea.)  He should be cultivating such
places in SL where he can show some of his real foresight, not merely places
where he can drop some dumb genes [1].

Robert

1. Which gets into a whole other can-o-worms, when will "genes-on-order" be
a component of SL?  Screw the bureacracy.  I take some of the little
buggers, stick them on dry ice, FedEx them to the downstream user and they
do with them what they will.  At least in Second Life one has the hope of
Early Adopters + Early Adopters.  In real life that may be much less
probable.