[extropy-chat] examples of rational irrationalism

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 07:02:51 UTC 2006

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The question is: do rational reasons exist for
> irrational thinking and behavior that enable one to
> escape irrational reality?

When it comes to rational irrationalism, I think these
guys take the cake:

http://www.vhemt.org/

I don't know quite what to make of it. Bizarre. Best I
can guess, this is what happens when one is spoiled by
no longer having to run screaming in terror from
nature in all its merciless ferocity. I can't imagine
one of these guys going hungry for more than a day,
despite all their appeals regarding the starving third
world children.

As if all the smart people in the world just decided
not to breed, all the suffering in the world would
just magically go away. True we are a force of nature
when it comes to ecological damage, but you don't see
nature wringing its hands in angst over mass
extinctions caused by volcanos and asteroid impacts.

Why should we care more about nature than the rest of
nature cares about itself or us for that matter? We
are the ONLY part of nature that cares one bit about
nature. That is more than enough, in my opinion, to
make up for all the damage we might cause. Unlike an
asteroid or a volcano, we will write poems in loving
memory of the trees we kill. Dylan Thomas must be
rolling over in his grave.

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Phillip K. Dick