[extropy-chat] Can the Future Do Without Economic Logic?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Dec 9 20:41:35 UTC 2006

Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 08:25 PM 12/8/2006 -0500, Dan wrote:
>
> >http://www.mises.org/story/2402
>
> "Goods that are in superabundance are not subject to the
> study of praxeology, and certainly not within the scope of
> catallactics."
>
> An interesting observation/admission. It suggests that if
> true nano-abundance arrives on schedule, the future *must* do
> without Misean (Misetian?) economic logic, no?

The statement was correct, but keep in mind the qualifier referring only
to those goods that are in superabundance.  While we may gain a
superabundance of the material goods necessary to meet our basic needs
and more, in the bigger picture this will likely lead to economics
driven by even larger gradients in the realm of new designs and
associated demand.  Not by those acting mainly on monkey motivations,
but by agents operating at higher levels of organization, no?

- Jef